My one main gripe with SoaSE is the same one I have with all games like this; the capitol ships are far too small!
I mean, yeah, not all your caps should be massive, but I still thing you should be able to get two or three ships that are absolutely humongous!
Anyone remember The Dante from Silent Bomber for PS1?
It was a massive planet-killer the size of a continent.
I want something like that.
Anyone know any mods that do that? Or is anyone willing to make one?
I'll make it worth your while
Find Newbeorg's resize tool, its on the forum or google it, its called something like Little Helper, and copy some of the meshes in the mesh folder for your favorite version, Entrenchment still has capitals i think, i dont think Diplomacy does, but the one's in the vanilla folder (the base game mesh folder does). I say copy them because you dont want to mess up your original installation of the game.
Then find Dekhranic's text converter, take your meshes and convert them from bin (code) to text.
then resize them.
You may need some comdl32 files. Google it and get a good download.
Fireup the resize and make your ships as big as you want, or if you run into problems let me know what size and what ships and i will do it for you. You gotta try first though, thats the deal. If you want to pull out your hair, then i'll do it, I just don't want you to say first thing off, hey you do it and i dont have to, okie? Sound fair?
oh, also, haha, tell me what version you are going to use them for, Entrenchment, Vanilla, or Diplomacy, that really shouldn't matter, but i want to test them first.
edit: you need to tell me how big you want them and this will go into a mod that you drop into your mod folder (Entrenchment Mods, Diplomacy Mods, 1.181 Mods, etc...) then fire up Sins, load the mod and see if its cool. Nice thing about doing it yourself, is if you want some humugous planet, or SuperDuper Trade factory, or whatever, then you will know how to do it, and you can then start doing whatever cool thing comes into your head. Its liberating!!! And fun, and cool, and way neat when you can say "Hey, i'm going to do so and so..."
okie, here's the tools, the text converter, the resize tool and an ogg converter for the music in Sins. also i included a brief readme on how to register the comdlg32.ocx if you need it to run the resize tool.
link is here:
cut and paste the link above into your browser, it goes to my mediafire account where i got the tools zipped. You can unzip it of course using the right click windows unzip option, or download 7zip a cool zipper/unzipper tool for free from SourceForge
Google it and you will find it. Good tool.
While I appreciate your good intent, everything you said made no sense to me.
Any chance you could dumb that down for someone who's experiance of modding is completely limited to istalling pre-made mods.
Oh, I once looked at blender, it scared me.
So yeah, I'm useless with computer talk, dummie's guide me?
1. Get the reference files for the game (the ones on the website are out of date, so you'll need to find a third party link or convert them yourself, which is easiest to do with a GUI converter like Harpo's or the one Teal mentioned).
2. Find the .MESH file of the capital ship you wish to enlarge (in the Mesh folder). They are named in a format like Capitalship_(racecodename)(ship role). For example, Capitalship_TechBattleship = The Kol.
3. Use Newboerg's resize tool teal mentioned to increase the sise of the mesh. You'll have to experiment with the scale factor to get it to look right, but you can do it in intervals at then see how it looks in game. It's surprisingly easy to use.
4. Create a new mod in whatever mod folder you'd like the game to appear. Call it MASSIVE capital ships or whatever you'd like to name it.
5. In that folder, create a new folder called Mesh.
6. Paste your resized .MESH file in the Mesh folder.
7. Enable the mod in the mods section of the main menu. I'd take any other mods off just to make sure you see only your changes.
8. If the ship is too big/small, go back to step 3 and use a different scale factor. Once it's satisfactory, repeat from step 2 until all of the Cap ships you wish enlarged meet your expectations.
Good luck, and if you have any issues or want to learn anything else (increase your larger ship's stats for example), feel free to post.
Thanks Teal_Blue and GoaFan77 for posting instructions and links to this Mesh resizer. I've had a lot of fun resizing models of some of the ships and structures in my favorite MODs. Stuff that I thought were either way too big or not large enough, and essentially making a MOD MOD that suits my liking.
Glad to hear it!! Let me know how it plays.
oh Geofan, i shouldnt say anything, because i haven't pulled my foot out of my mouth since the last time i corrected someone, But the .mesh files should go in the Mesh folder, not the textures. There is a Textures folder too, but it holds different kinds of files. Sorry for the you know, correction, but i appreciate your comments, you were way more better at detailing how to do it than me. I get in a rush sometimes and dont always include all the words for all the thoughts in my head, haha. Well... I gotta work on that. But thank you for the assist and for the clarification.
Take care and keep modding!!! And gaming!!!
I will put a mod together tonight and upload it, all you will have to do is load it into the mod folder. I will make a 1.181 and a Entrenchment 1.041 version, ok?
Then i'll post them on mediafire and give you the link to get to them.
p.s. Don't worry about not knowing how to mod, its fun, but everybody is different!!
Oh yeah, sorry I got my folder names mixed up in my head. I guess I was typing too fast.
There are many great features available to you once you register, including:
Sign in or Create Account